Patient Access Specialist Emergency Department (ED)
Maryville, TN, USA
Posted on Saturday, November 4, 2023
Part time (4-20 hours/week) Evenings (3:00 p.m. - 11:00 p.m.)
- Responsible for patient pre-registration, registration, admission, and/or order entry
- Responsible for account accuracy, processing point-of-service (POS) collections, and ensuring that insurance authorizations are attached to accounts.
- Must be able to communicate needs to appropriate personnel.
- Provide excellent customer service that reflects the organization’s mission, vision, and standards.
Education and/or experience:
- High school diploma or equivalent preferred.
- Some college preferred.
- Experience in customer service, clerical healthcare, or public relations preferred.
- Experience with Windows-based systems, email, and websites required.
- Experience with ADT/EMR systems and scheduling/ordering systems preferred.
- Knowledge of medical and insurance terminology, contract reimbursement and methodology, and governing agencies for healthcare (i.e. HIPAA, EMTALA, Medicare.
- Knowledge of basic arithmetic and math aptitude required.
- Intermediate computer and data entry skills with accuracy required, including a minimum 40 wpm keyboarding.
- Strong interpersonal and customer service skills that reflect organizational standards.
- Detail-oriented with excellent oral and written communication skills, as well as active listening skills required.
- Basic mathematical skills required with the ability to calculate percentages and use a 10-key calculator.
- Read, write, speak, and understand English.
- Self-motivated and able to work directly with patients throughout Patient Access without a set workstation.
- Read and interpret provider orders and/or other documentation.
- Multi-task and stay organized, while working in a fast-paced environment with a team or independently, as required.
- Flex scheduling, including some weekends and holidays, as needed.