true Payroll Manager
The Payroll Manager is responsible for overseeing the implementation and execution of all U.S. based payroll processes, procedures, and reporting. This includes, but is not limited to ensuring the accurate and timely payment and reporting of compensation payments to coworkers; payroll tax functions; system enhancements and maintenance and resource development, management and engagement. The Payroll Manager ensures amounts withheld from pay for third parties (such as benefits or garnishments) are accurately determined and deposited with the third party on time and in compliance with federal, state and local payroll and payroll tax laws and regulations.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Lead Payroll team to optimize efficiency and accuracy in processing all forms of coworker compensation and benefit deductions.
- Manage the Payroll team in delivering customer service, including responding to inquiries related to payroll from coworkers and various internal departments.
- Manage and ensure the biweekly disbursement of multi-state payroll of 7k+ employees for multiple FEINs across all 50 states; ensuring garnishments, benefits and taxes are accurate and consistent with federal and state wage and hour laws. In addition, manage any additional ad hoc payrolls for manual checks and the payments of special bonuses.
- Ensure payroll tax compliance, including tax deposits, filings, and reconciliations to the general ledger are accurate and completed in a timely manner.
- Research discrepancies of payroll information/documentation prior to processing and/or confirming each payroll. This includes auditing payroll data for accuracy and reasonableness.
- Collaboration in development, testing, and troubleshooting of all system changes with Coworker Services, Finance, IT, etc.
- On-going management of the CTMS time keeping system for all U.S. and Canada coworkers. Including on-going management of paid time-off accrual processes.
- Management of and collaboration on forecasting and accounting for payroll related items.
- Implement continuous process improvement to include the adoption of best practices, and updating standard operating procedures accordingly.
- Engage with Senior Management and be the subject matter expert for payroll and payroll tax-related matters, expatriates, 1099 reporting matters, payroll general ledger mapping/reporting.
- Develop processes and procedures that will scale with the growth of the Company.
- Ensure the proper controls and procedures are in place, documented and followed as well as working with internal audit in testing the effectiveness of the controls.
- Coordinate and collaborate on the processing of equity compensation.
- Supervise staff, including Payroll Supervisor, Payroll System Analyst and Payroll Practitioners.
- Evaluate staff performance and implement development plans as necessary.
- Manage and maintain payroll information by defining business requirements and associated system setup, directing the collection, calculation, and entry of tax and payroll data, and maintaining security controls.
- Manage access and security to ADP web site for payroll taxes, garnishment processing and W-2 printing.
- Manage access and security to departmental shared mail boxes. Help Desk, Bonus & Commissions, and Gift Cards.
- Provide ad hoc reporting for state tax credits, unemployment audits, 401(k) testing, etc.
- Manage and maintain operational /quality measures and payroll business metrics and associated controls.
- Manage the year-end process and associated tax W-2 reporting working through 3rd party tax/payroll vendor.
Education and/or Experience Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree and 5 years of experience working with a multi-state in-house payroll function OR
- 9 years of prior experience working with a multi-state in-house payroll function without a degree
- Previous leadership experience.
- In depth knowledge of Workday software (or comparable payroll system), Microsoft Office products, Access, and the ability to learn and use other software.
- Prior experience with ADP Tax Filing, Print, Garnishment, Unemployment/VOE services or other comparable 3rd party service providers.
- Self-starter capable of leading Payroll organization
- Strong attention to detail and organizational skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with the ability to effectively interact with all stakeholders including senior leadership.
- Ability to analyze and resolve complex accounting/business issues.
- Strong customer service attitude and approach.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and operate in a fast paced and dynamic environment.
- Ability to work collaboratively and effectively with various stakeholders and deliver a great customer service experience to our coworkers.
- Certification in a payroll area (such as CPP designation).
- Management role with public Fortune 500 company.
- Prior experience in Finance/Accounting.
- Strong financial analytical skills.