Portfolio Lead - Data Engineering, Analytics & Governance
As the Portfolio Manager Lead, you will play a key role in providing strategic thought leadership and measurable, defined outcomes in the delivery of a portfolio of solutions for business users. They partner with the business to identify and evaluate project ideas, determine the scope and value related, estimate and manage the budget and resource needs, prioritize, and schedule the work based on expected value and resource capacity, and monitor and control the work from initiation through value realization. You will apply project management methodologies and tools to ensure successful delivery of complex projects throughout their entire lifecycle. You will be responsible for defining inter-related project and program plans with multi-dependent activities, timelines, and assumptions. In addition, you will utilize your expert negotiation skills to resolve problems and facilitate the achievement of outcomes, while managing communication efforts across multiple teams, business units, and executive management. This is an exciting opportunity to be a team player, make a significant impact, and contribute to the growth and success of our organization.
About The Team
The Clayton Data Engineering, Analytics & Governance (DEA&G) team exists to enable data-driven decision making. The Data Engineering team provides a central, stable, and integrated location for accessing Clayton and external data. The Data Analytics team tells the story from the data using data visualization tools, exploratory data analysis, and provides data-driven projections and forecasts to Clayton business units. The Data Governance team ensures our data is cared for as we would care for other assets. They partner with subject matter experts across the company to define standards, improve processes, and educate team members to ensure that the right team members and processes are in place to maintain high data quality.
- Defines technology portfolio objectives and strategies in line with the organization's business goals and objectives.
- Follows the Clayton Solution Delivery Life Cycle processes for defining new projects, develops the project business case, identifies resources and dependencies, and completes the cost/risk analysis and project schedule.
- Oversees the development and execution of projects, applying project management methodologies and tools.
- Develops and manages the DEA&G yearly IT budget as defined by Clayton’s Tech Finance and Accounting budget processes and procedures.
- Facilitates the Data Engineering team as Scrum Master and applies Scrum theory and practice. The Scrum Master will manage the Data Engineering team backlog, works to remove obstacles and distractions, provides capacity planning, and leads sprint review and planning activities.
- Develops and manages the DEA&G technology portfolio roadmap and ensuring that it aligns with the organization's overall strategic plan.
- Facilitates the resource planning process with business unit Portfolio Managers to determine resource needs and negotiates cross team resource allocations based on the approved prioritized roadmap.
- Facilitates the quarterly DEA&G Program Governance Committee (PGC) presentations to the Corporate CIO and CFO.
- Maintains the DEA&G Confluence wiki.
- Maintains and presents the Introduction to the Enterprise Data Warehouse slide deck review with new Clayton team members.
- Manages communication efforts across multiple teams, business units, and executive management.
- Coordinates DEA&G team building events and holiday gatherings.
- Contributes to the growth and success of the organization as a team player.
- Excellent, clear, and concise communication skills, both orally and in written English.
- Ability to present ideas, collaborate effectively and influence at all levels of the organization.
- Strong business acumen and strategic thinking to complement strong tactical execution skills.
- Demonstrated ability to use the principles, practices and tools of program and project management.
- Experience in fostering a collaborative and supportive team environment.
- Demonstrates a passion for change and continual improvement and ability to effectively lead/drive change.
- Sharp, energetic, assertive, results-oriented, and able to shift gears when needed in a rapidly evolving environment.
- Ability to lead and motivate others at all levels and across teams.
- Experience working in a traditional waterfall, agile and hybrid environment.
- Proven initiative-taker with experience coordinating activities across multiple teams to achieve project objectives and timelines.
- Strong knowledge of project planning, delivery coordination, and risk management, with the ability to work closely with business and technology delivery teams to ensure project delivery on time and within budget.
- Advanced experience with project management tools, such as Smartsheet, Confluence, and JIRA.
- Expertise in both Plan Driven and Agile Methodologies, including Scrum and Kanban, with a deep understanding of their respective strengths and weaknesses.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, business, or related discipline, or equivalent technical and business experience.
- Active certification as a Project Management Professional (PMP) or Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP), demonstrating a commitment to professional development and continuous learning.
- Demonstrated strong organizational and multi-tasking skills, with a proven ability to consistently meet deadlines and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Team management and leadership skills, with the ability to inspire and motivate team members to achieve project goals and foster a collaborative work environment.
- Detail-oriented, with a focus on accuracy and precision, even under pressure, to ensure the quality of project deliverables.
- Domain knowledge of multiple Clayton business units.
- Experience working with Data Warehousing and Analytics teams is a plus.
- Basic to intermediate SQL query skills.
- Proficiency in advanced features of Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, Project, Zoom, Teams, and other office productivity tools, with the ability to use these tools to effectively communicate project status and progress to stakeholders.
- Possess additional certifications in agile, risk management, or program management.
- Interviewing skills and hiring practices
- Contract and vendor management
- Driving Results - motivates individuals to achieve and exceed goals by establishing accountabilities, clarifying performance expectations, agreeing to high standards and measures, monitoring and reviewing performance, and providing timely and relevant feedback.
- Strategic Talent Management - attract, hire, engage, and develop talented people to build the capabilities required for the organization to perform at high levels.
- Influence and Persuasion - effective in persuading, convincing, influencing, or impressing others to get them to support a specific agenda, make a specific type of impression, or take a specific course of action.
- Communicating - provides the information required by others in a concise, direct, and unambiguous way. He or she perceives how the message affects the receiver and strives to ensure that the receiver clearly understands the specifics and function of the message.
- Relationship Building - develop effective long-term professional interactions with others based on trust: trust that they will always work toward the best interest of those involved and that they are sufficiently competent to provide positive results.
- Organizational Savvy - gather and accurately assess information related to the organization’s formal and informal communication channels and power relationships.
- Strategic Thinking - develop and help drive a shared understanding of a long-term vision that describes how the organization needs to operate now and, in the future.
- Analytical Thinking - tends toward taking calculated risks by making decisions and acting, even in the absence of all information.
- Business Acumen - makes sound business decisions based on a strong understanding of the company’s business model, strategic goals, and relevant policies, as well as best practices and current technologies in their own discipline or functional area.
- Planning and Priority - identifies the priorities, processes, and practical actions that are necessary to achieve an objective or an idea. Develops detailed action or project plans, including objectives, accountabilities, time frames, standards, review stages, and contingencies.
Why Clayton Homes?
Founded in 1956, Clayton is a Berkshire Hathaway Company committed to opening doors to a better life and Building Happyness® through homeownership. Through its family of brands, Clayton builds, sells, finances, and insures traditional site-built homes and off-site built housing – including modular homes, manufactured homes, CrossMod™ homes, tiny homes, college dormitories, military barracks, and apartments. Corporate headquarters is located in the Knoxville, Tennessee area, specifically, Maryville, Tennessee. Clayton is the recipient of numerous industry awards including 2019 Builder of the Year and ranks as the #2 builder of homes in the U.S. by units sold. Our site-built division, Clayton Properties Group, is the 8th largest site builder in the U.S. We achieve our results through the strength of our people and have been recognized on the 2021 Forbes Best Employers for Diversity and 2021 Forbes America’s Best Employers Lists. To learn more about Clayton Homes, got to: https://www.claytonhomes.com
- Competitive benefits including 401(k) with 100% company match of the first 4%; medical, dental and vision plans; paid time off days and holidays.
- Quarterly bonus program.
- Forbes lists: America’s Best Employers, America’s Employers by State, Best Employers for Diversity, Best Employers for Women.
- Recognized as one of East Tennessee’s top technology workplaces.
- Wellness programs that focus on emotional, social, spiritual, intellectual, environmental, physical, and financial well-being.
- Onsite fitness facility with full gym, workout classes, volleyball and basketball, ping-pong, and disc golf course.
- Paid Time Off for Volunteer work.
Business Unit - B00023Technology