Data Engineering Manager
Data Engineering Manager
The Manager role at Clayton is a professional who guides and encourages a group of people. The Manager role inspires, motivates and provides suggestions to help their team members reach certain department or company goals. A Manager’s duties can vary depending on the department, but common responsibilities may include overseeing the efforts of team members within their department, hiring and training new team members, providing guidance and direction to team members, conduct meetings, collaborate within and across departments and encourage and coach team members through a variety of techniques. A Manager may or may not work in a similar role as their team members. The Tech Manager is a mid-level management position.
About The Team
The Clayton Data Engineering, Analytics & Governance team is responsible for Data movement into our Enterprise Data Warehouse, our Operational Data Stores, between our operational Systems on prem and on the public cloud. We are growing and are looking for a Data Engineering Manager to join & lead this dynamic team to develop advanced data infrastructure pipelines and solutions that present information for decision making, sourcing data from a variety of sources within and outside of the Clayton organization with storage on on-prem SQL Server data stores as well as cloud datastores on AWS, using standard ETL tools and scripts.
- Prioritization of activities at the team level
- Implement Strategic Tech Initiatives as defined through Tech Leadership activities (TechOps, Directors, Senior Leaders, and Tech Leadership Team)
- Develop team morale through encouragement, coaching, and collaboration
- Serve as a chief communicator, particularly with team members reporting directly to you
- Support capacity planning activities to ensure the right roles are in the right place at the right time for projects to succeed
- Implementing and executing projects, activities, tasks and plans
- Develop roadmaps or tactical plans for upcoming work on a monthly or quarterly basis
- Manage portions of budgets that are relevant to your work area
- Setting goals for a team and monitoring progress
- Fostering positive relationships with your team members, peers, and other teams that support or interact with your team
- Inspiring team members and motivating them to reach individual and team goals
- Providing feedback or performance reviews to encourage future growth
- Celebrating team successes
- Creating objectives for teams and departments
- Assisting in the development of project budgets and deadlines, or possibly managing department budgets depending on role (e.g., Portfolio Manager vs. Software Engineering Manager)
- Leading the hiring, interviewing and training processes
- Using strategic planning to create business and productivity goals for your team, area, or department
- Manage contractors and vendor relationships associated with contract labor
- Lead the design, implementation and maintenance basic data models
- Lead the design, development, testing, implementation, and maintenance of automated data pipeline features and data processing jobs
- Support existing data pipeline, including modernization/standardization, troubleshooting, and maintenance as needed
- Work with engineering teams across the organization to understand and consume data from upstream systems and platforms
- Meet with internal customers to develop project scope for data movement and research requests
- Have an advanced understanding of:
- ETL processing with large data volumes
- Data modelling (relational, dimensional and flattened)
- Structured Query Language (SQL)
- ETL Tools such as SSIS, StarQuest or Ab-initio
- Assessing quality of data and fitness for purpose
- Data cleansing principles and techniques
- Have solid understanding of:
- Data governance or meta data management solutions
- Designing and maintaining Data Presentation layers
- One or more non-SQL language like Python or Java
- Data Architecture principles and techniques
- Prior data engineering leadership experience, or equivalent experience
- Designing and delivering large scale, mission-critical data pipelines and features using modern ETL tools and SQL.
- Have an analytic mindset, preferably with 4+ years in a Data Engineer role
- 3 to 5 years of experience in the direct field of responsibility or similar experience
- 1 to 3 years of previous management experience
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
- Ability to develop plans and define tasks needed to complete projects or defined activities (e.g., upgrade a system; test a suite of releases; etc.)
- Bachelor’s degree in Mathematics, Economics, Computer Science, Information Management, Statistics, or Engineering; or equivalent work experience preferred.
- Cloud data engineering experience is a plus.
- Open source ETL tool experience is a plus
- Project Management
- Financial Acumen
- Analysis of Problems (size, scale, scope, impact)
- Courageous Conversations
- Hiring Practices
- Interviewing Skills
- Prioritization (for self and others)
- Goal Setting
- Change Management
- Relationship management
- Contract and vendor management
- Conflict Management
- Influence and Persuasion
- Collaboration and Teamwork
- Global Mindset
- Interpersonal Dynamics
- Relationship Building
- Coaching and Developing Others
- Managing Innovation
- Strategic Talent Management
- Deliberative Decision Making
- Strategic Thinking
- Planning and Priority Setting
- Analytical Thinking
- Composure and Resiliency
Why Clayton Homes?
Founded in 1956, Clayton is a Berkshire Hathaway Company committed to opening doors to a better life and Building Happyness® through homeownership. Through its family of brands, Clayton builds, sells, finances, and insures traditional site-built homes and off-site built housing – including modular homes, manufactured homes, CrossMod™ homes, tiny homes, college dormitories, military barracks, and apartments. Corporate headquarters is located in the Knoxville, Tennessee area, specifically, Maryville, Tennessee. Clayton is the recipient of numerous industry awards including 2019 Builder of the Year and ranks as the #2 builder of homes in the U.S. by units sold. Our site-built division, Clayton Properties Group, is the 8th largest site builder in the U.S. We achieve our results through the strength of our people and have been recognized on the 2021 Forbes Best Employers for Diversity and 2021 Forbes America’s Best Employers Lists. To learn more about Clayton Homes, got to: https://www.claytonhomes.com
- Competitive benefits including 401(k) with 100% company match of the first 4%; medical, dental and vision plans; paid time off days and holidays.
- Quarterly bonus program.
- Forbes lists: America’s Best Employers, America’s Employers by State, Best Employers for Diversity, Best Employers for Women.
- Recognized as one of East Tennessee’s top technology workplaces.
- Wellness programs that focus on emotional, social, spiritual, intellectual, environmental, physical, and financial well-being.
- Onsite fitness facility with full gym, workout classes, volleyball and basketball, ping-pong, and disc golf course.
- Paid Time Off for Volunteer work.
Business Unit - B00023Technology