Pilot Escort Driver
Clayton Homes, a Berkshire Hathaway company and the nation's leading housing provider, is a vertically integrated housing company that builds, sells, and insures affordable housing. Our commitment to creating a World Class Customer Experience is unparalleled in the housing industry and we believe it begins with a World Class Team Member Experience. From entry-level to more experienced positions, we're actively recruiting individuals who are passionate, positive, and eager to learn. We then equip you for success, whether you're in the office, in the field, or on the floor. As a member of our team you'll enjoy excellent benefits, opportunities for growth, and an encouraging culture that supports work / life balance.
Title: Pilot/Escort Driver
Job Status: Full Time Department: Clayton Connect
Work Schedule: Weekdays (Occasional Weekend) Reports to: Terminal Manager
Amount of Travel Required: 2-3 Nights per Week
The Clayton Connect Pilot/Escort Driver will work with the Clayton Connect team to ensure the safe and efficient transport of Oversized Loads. The Pilot/Escort Driver must constantly evaluate and communicate hazards via CB radio, traffic patterns, stop signs/lights, cargo issues, etc. to the Toter Driver to ensure they can take necessary precautions and actions to ensure safe delivery. The Pilot/Escort Driver must work with the Toter driver to ensure that they have the necessary lanes and space to safely navigate the required route. The Pilot/Escort Driver must assist the Toter driver in preparing and maintaining the cargo for shipment and delivery. This includes “flagging” out the home, changing flat tires, performing pre-trip inspections, and other tasks that may be required.
The Clayton Connect Pilot/Escort Driver works in a team with the Connect Toter to ship over-sized loads, predominantly from Clayton Manufacturing locations to Clayton Retailers. As part of the team, the Pilot/Escort driver will be required to travel in a vehicle for multiple hours a day, with multiple overnight trips a week. Pilot/Escort Drivers will need to have a team mindset and an ability to work with others to accomplish a goal.
- Assist in the preparation of the home for shipment. (i.e., installing lights, checking tires, securing plastic, etc.)
- Pilot/Escort the home as it navigates the required route. Calling out hazards, acquiring multiple lanes, assisting in repairs, etc.
- Maintain communication with the Toter driver via CB radio.
- Maintain communication with Retailers.
- Understand how to read and comprehend state specific Pilot/Escort requirements.
- Always represent the company. We consider our vehicles rolling billboards and expect our drivers to represent Clayton accordingly
- Valid Driver’s License (May Require Additional Endorsements)
- Motor Vehicle Report & Background Check in line with Company Requirements
- Must pass company drug testing and adhere to company policies
- Must obtain/maintain a P/EVO and Defensive Driving Certification
- Availability for overnight stays 2 - 3 nights each week
- Must be able to perform the physical requirements of the position, which include lifting up to 50 lbs, getting on hands/knees to make repairs/inspections, safely enter/exit the vehicle
- Physically able to bend down, stoop over, squat, or get down on one’s knees to inspect brakes, wiring, axles, tires, and other items required to be inspected per company policy.
- Willing to operate a motor vehicle in all 48 states
- Proficient in reading and speaking the English language, able to understand bills of lading and permits, and to safely plan trips.
- 401(K) includes 100% company match of the first 4%
- Medical and Dental Plan with Prescription Coverage and Vision
- Paid Volunteer Time Off (VTO)
- Paid Time Off days and holidays
- Career Development
- Bonus Potential
A Berkshire Hathaway Company - an integrity-based organization offering unlimited career growth opportunities.
Full-time team members have the flexibility to create their own health, dental, and vision benefits package. Clayton provides competitive 401K programs, including investment options and company matching for full and part time employees after one year to help our team members achieve their financial goals. Additional benefits include paid parental leave, tuition reimbursement, Employee Assistance Programs, and more.
As part of Clayton’s commitment to Opening Doors to a Better Life, Clayton is now providing paid time for Team Members to volunteer to causes that are meaningful to them through the Clayton Impact program.
Clayton is proud to have earned spots on the following Forbes lists: America’s Best Employers, America’s Best Employers by State, Best Employers for Diversity, Best Employers for Women.
At Clayton, we encourage holistic wellness with physical, nutritional, social, financial, spiritual and occupational programs available online or in-person for team members.
Clayton is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Clayton is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status.
Business Unit - B00007Clayton Connect