External Communications Intern
External Communications Internship
Position Summary: Clayton offers a multitude of different opportunities through our Summer Internship Program. The Clayton Summer Internship Program challenges students to think critically and analytically within their field of study while allowing them direct, hands-on working experience.
Internship Program Details:
- Internships are paid, full-time, hourly positions.
- Exact internship dates to be announced, but typically run 12 weeks from late May through early August.
- Internships include several professional development workshops and opportunities for networking with other interns across Clayton's various lines of business.
- Interns will facilitate a presentation to Clayton Senior Leadership ahead of program completion.
What you will do:
- Assist with event planning, media preparation and event support for Clayton's role in HUD's Innovative Housing Showcase.
- Write press releases and pitches for media distribution.
- Write talking points for spokespeople.
- Audit and updating the Clayton Newsroom site, focusing on photography.
What skills you will learn or develop:
- This intern will gain knowledge of all Clayton business units and how they work together, engaging with various stakeholders from several departments.
- This intern will gain an in-depth understanding of media and public relations through crafting press releases, pitches, drafting talking points and assisting with event planning.
- Must be a sophomore, junior, senior, or recent graduate of a degree program in Communications, Marketing, Journalism, or other related field.
- Strong presentation skills required.
- Must be able to effectively manage time, track, and complete multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Must have proficiency in written, oral, and electronic communication.
- Must have a basic understanding of public relations.
- Previous internship in public relations or a newsroom or experience working on a school newspaper / publication preferred.
- Experience writing press releases and media pitches, experience in a media monitoring platform (Cision, Meltwater, Critical Mention, etc) preferred.
- Experience with event planning preferred.
Perks of Interning at Clayton:
- Clayton’s internship program offers the opportunity for interns to complete real, value-add work projects while building both interpersonal and technical skillsets. Interns will gain insight into career paths within their chosen field of study, and many have the opportunity to continue employment with Clayton post-internship completion.
- Clayton’s Home Office campus offers an onsite restaurant, onsite fitness facility with full gym, in-person and virtual workout classes, yoga / barre studio, volleyball and basketball courts, walking paths, and disc golf course.
- Clayton is proud to have earned spots on the following Forbes lists: America’s Best Employers, America’s Best Employers by State, Best Employers for Diversity, Best Employers for Women.
- At Clayton, we encourage holistic wellness with physical, nutritional, social, financial, spiritual and occupational programs available online or in-person for team members.
Clayton is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Clayton is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status.
Business Unit - B00015Shared Services